§1681g. Disclosures to Consumers
- Every consumer reporting agency shall, upon request
and proper identification of
any consumer, and subject to Section 610(a)(1) clearly and accurately disclose to the
(1) All information in the consumer's file at the time of the request,
except that nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to require a consumer reporting
agency to disclose to a consumer any information concerning credit scores or any other
risk scores or predictors relating to the consumer.
- The nature and substance of all information (except medical
information) in its files on the consumer at the time of the request.
- The sources of the information; except that the sources of
information acquired solely for use in preparing an investigative consumer report and
actually used for no other purpose need not be disclosed: Provided, that in the event an
action is brought under this title, such sources shall be available to the plaintiff under
appropriate discovery procedures in the court in which the action is brought.
- The recipients of any consumer report on the consumer which it has furnished-- (A) for
employment purposes within the two- year period preceding the request, and (B) for any
other purpose within the six- month period r any other purpose within the six- month
period preceding the request.
The dates, original payees, and amounts of any checks upon which
is based any adverse characterization of the consumer, included in the file at the time of
- Identification of each person (including each end-user
identified under Section 607(e)(1))
that procured a consumer report
- for employment purposes, during the 2-year period preceding
the date on which the request is made; or
- for any other purpose, during the 1-year period preceding
the date on which the request is made.
- An identification of a person under subparagraph (A) shall
- the name of the person or, if applicable, the trade name
(written in full) under which such person conducts business; and
- upon request of the consumer, the address and telephone
number of the person.
A record of all inquiries received by the agency during the 1-year
period preceding the request that identified the consumer in connection with a credit or
insurance transaction that was not initiated by the consumer.
The requirements of subsection (a)
of this section respecting the disclosure of sources of information and
the recipients of consumer reports do not apply to information received or consumer
reports furnished prior to the effective date of this title except to the extent that the
matter involved is contained in the files of the consumer reporting agency on that date.
Summary of Rights Required To Be Included With Disclosure:
- Summary of rights: A consumer reporting agency shall provide to a
consumer, with each written disclosure by the agency to the consumer under this section
- a written summary of all of the rights that the consumer has
under this title; and
- in the case of a consumer reporting agency that compiles amd
maintains files on consumers on a nationwide basis, a toll-free telephone number
established by the agency,